• The global surgical scalpels market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.8% in terms of value during the forecast period (2017–2027) and be valued at US$ 1,473.0 Mn by 2027.
• On the basis of product type, disposable surgical scalpel segment accounted for 57.1% market share in 2016, which is expected to increase to 58.3% by 2027 end. This segment is expected to account for high revenue contribution to the global surgical scalpels market as compared to reusable surgical scalpel market during the forecast period.
• By material type, stainless steel segment accounted for 42.6% value share and was valued at US$ 419.2 Mn in 2016.
• By end user type, hospitals segment accounted for 45.7% value share and was valued at US$ 449.4 Mn in 2016.
• The APEJ surgical scalpels market revenue is expected to expand at a significant CAGR of 4.1% in terms of value over the forecast period.
• Increasing global surgical procedures volume
• Doctor’s preference to traditional scalpels
• Rise in the number of healthcare facilities
• Lesser Regulatory requirements for product launch
• Growing private hospital sector
• Rise in cosmetic surgery procedures
• Slow adoption of safety scalpels
• Support from regional & international organizations for surgical supplies in developing economies
• Availability of alternatives
• Absence of key developments in the arena
• Increasing injury incidences with scalpel usage
• Mismanagement of operating efficiency in hospitals
Overall Market Approach:
• Companies focus on improving the design, reduction in cost, expanding geographical presence and
increasing sales networking in order to gain maximum market share
• Various macro economic factors, market trends as well as acquisition, mergers, strategic collaborations and technological advancements plays a vital role in the growth of Surgical Scalpels market
• Need to efficiently meet requirements of various end users, and ensuring supply of the required products, as quality and positive outcome are of utmost importance to end user industry
• By product type, disposable surgical scalpels segment is expected to witness a significant rise in revenue share over the forecast period, owing to the increasing use of disposable medical instruments for surgical purpose in order to increase safety, reduce chances of contamination as well as get rid of frequent sterilization process in case of reusable surgical instruments
• APEJ represents the most lucrative market, followed by North America and Western Europe.
• The fastest growing healthcare facilities in the Asia Pacific region, increasing government fundings, rise in the number of surgical operations and medical tourism promotes the surgical scalpels market in the region.
• Acquisitions, mergers, expansion, product branding, product launches, adoption of new technologies and strengthening of sales force are the key strategies adopted by manufacturers and integrators to increase the consumer base in different geographies
• In June 2014, the company launched its product “KLEEN” which incorporates safety features includes all-in-one Blade Management System compliments the existing range of safety products